Our Client was pulled over for erratic driving and an expired tag. It was observed by the officer that the driver had blood shot and watery eyes and a strong odor of alcohol. It was determined after failing the Field Sobriety Exercises where the client blew a .27 on the breathalyzer that the driver was intoxicated and arrested for DUI.
DUI Programs in Florida
Driving under the influence programs are overseen in Florida by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles(FLHSMV). These classes are taught by certified instructors. The FLHSMV will investigate complaints and evaluate the program to make sure it is effective.
Two different types of classes are offered: Level 1 and Level 2. Level 1 will require a minimum of 12 hours to complete and is for first-time offenders. Informative and interactive educational techniques are used in class to be the most effective.
Level 2 is for individuals who have multiple DUIs. The class will take 21 hours minimum to complete. This is done in a group setting with interaction for best results. A Level 2 class will have 15 or fewer individuals in it. The program’s main focuses are treatment readiness and addressing any issues the multiple offenders have. Programs are offered in many different counties and each has their own set fees. Counties may also have fees that are paid for by the offender for using debit or credit cards as a method of payment. Examples of fees are:
- Washington County- A fee of $289 for a level 1 course or a fee of $435 for a level 2 course with a 3% charge per credit card/debit card.
- Union County- A fee of $298 for a level 1 course or a fee of $443 for a level 2 course with a $2 fee for credit/debit cards.
- Brevard County- A fee of $275 for a level 1 course or a fee of $420 for a level 2 course with a fee of 3% as a service charge for credit cards.
Registering for a DUI Class
When registering for a DUI class, you should bring the following items with you:
- A copy of the DUI ticket/citation
- A copy of the DUI arrest/accident report
- A copy of your history of driving
- Payment in full for the class
- All court paperwork with the judge’s name, case number, and probation officer
Legal Services at Musca Law
If you have been arrested for a DUI charge, contact Musca Law. We have a team of experienced lawyers that will take on your case, negotiating with the prosecution in your best interest. Our firm offers free consultation and phones are answered 24 hours per day. Musca Law will be able to assist you in all aspects of your case, from filling out paperwork to possibly reducing or completely eliminating your charges.
RESULT: The attorney in this case was successful at convincing the prosecutor to agree to a dismissal of the charge in exchange for his participation in some DUI classes. After class participation the charge will then be dismissed with no license suspension.