This is the fifth in a series of six blogs, which address the consequences first-time DUI offenders face in the state of Florida. The final entry will discuss potential personal, professional, and financial consequences of a DUI arrest.

First-time driving under the influence (DUI) offenders in Florida could face many serious penalties. DUI school, community service work, and probation are mandatory for all first-time DUI offenders. Potential consequences of a DUI conviction include jail time, court costs, fines, and license suspension probation.

What is Probation?

Probation is a form of supervision during which a person reports to a probation officer on a regular basis. During a probation period, individuals convicted of driving under the influence must comply with a number of conditions. Each case is different, but DUI offenders must typically report to a probation officer on a regular basis and allow that officer to visit at home or elsewhere. Individuals on probation will have to pay fines, court costs, and a monthly fee for the supervision. Failing to report to a probation officer or comply with the conditions of the probation can result in additional penalties.

The mandatory probation period for a first time DUI offender typically ranges from six months to 12 months. It is common for Florida prosecutors to demand the maximum 12 months of supervised probation. During this period, there will be weekly or monthly reporting requirements that may include drug or alcohol testing.

Fighting DUI Charges

The length and severity of the probation conditions often depend on the skill and abilities of the defendant’s DUI defense attorney. An experienced lawyer will know how to negotiate for reduced probation conditions and how to pursue early termination of probation.

The experienced Tampa drunk driving lawyers at Musca Law provide free consultations to anyone facing drunk driving charges at (888) 484-5057. We have a long and successful track record of fighting DUI charges, regardless of whether it is a first-time or repeat offense. Please contact us today to discuss your case.